Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Cannot manage Active Directory Certificate Services

On a new Windows Server 2012 R2 server after installing the Active Directory Certificate Authority role, you may experience the following error when first launching the Certificate Authority MMC Snap-in.

Cannot manage Active Directory Certificate Services.

The system cannot find the file specified. 0x80070002 (WIN32: 2 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)


This error is caused because you have not yet finished the configuration of AD CS using Windows Server 2012 R2 Server Manager.  In previous versions of Windows Server, these installation steps were part of "adding the role", however in Server 2012 these additional configuration steps are hard to find and had me stumped.

To finish the configuration, click on AD CS on the left in server manager then hit the little "more" button that comes up.  On the "All Servers Task Details and Notifications" select Configure Active Directory Certificate Services".

These have been marked in red in the following screenshot.


This is the only way using the GUI I could find to finish the installation.  Hopefully this helps someone and safes some time, took me a good 10 minutes to figure this one out!

10 comments:

  1. Another approach is to use "certutil -installcert xxx.cer" in case you are running a server core version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thnak you for information
    I hope to see my site also supports this service
    submit your web sites and get more traffic, Get a free listing at link Directory
    Link Directory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

    2. abdelghani benseddiq you are a scam man, warning everyone this character, my promised a dating site and he was paying but I had never seen it before, now I'm going to sue justice, I already address and identity card number

      Delete
  3. Thanks!...You can also use PS cmdlt: Install-AdcsCertificationAuthority

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing thing you post in this blog. It help me to solve my related problem. Nice bolg post.
    Visit :- CS Service

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    Thats great article & nice blog, Thanks for sharing. Good Information Security Certifications

    ReplyDelete
  6. abdelghani benseddiq you are a scam man, warning everyone this character, my promised a dating site and he was paying but I had never seen it before, now I'm going to sue justice, I already address and identity card number

    ReplyDelete
  7. The information on this blog is very useful and very interesting. If someone needs to know about the just clickISO certification cost in india | ISO certification cost | ISO certification cost in bangalore

    ReplyDelete