Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Exchange ActiveSync Error (500) Internal Server Error

One of my customers had an issue on their Exchange 2010 server regarding Exchange ActiveSync.  The mobile device would Autodiscover the settings however it would fail to synchronise email.  After investigating the issue I quickly isolated the issue to the users Active Directory user account.  This was determined after I recreated the users mailbox by exporting to PST, disabling the mailbox, creating a new mailbox then reimporting the mailbox content.

I used the following command in PowerShell to test the users ActiveSync configuration status.

Test-ActiveSyncConnectivity -MailboxCredential (Get-Credential domain\username) -UseAutodiscoverForClientAccessServer

The command failed.


I then piped the output to a format list function to provide more details about the error received.


The error received was as follows:

"[System.Net.WebException]: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error."

As I knew the problem was not to do with the mailbox contents as I had recently recreated the users mailbox, and this user was the only user effected by the issue, it had to be a problem with the Active Directory user account itself.

After investigating the user account I noticed the account was no longer inheriting permissions in Active Directory.  After re-enabling inheritable permissions, this resolved the problem.

7 comments:

  1. Easy to solve. Good that you have time to look up for the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Its work for me to fix Exchange Error (500), PowerShall command always work for exchange server error. Thanks for sharing informative post with screen-shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post. It worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Clint Boessen,
    you explained in very effective way by all steps. Being a new user of the Exchange Server I also find difficulty working on it. Once when I stuck with some error code Stellar phoenix Exchange Server tool helps me a lot. I always search this type of solution so that I can solve all errors my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about for an Exchange Admin account? Normally inheritable permissions is not checked on a domain admin account or an account in protected groups. I'm afraid to check it on the domain admin account.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Clint! It's very helpful for me. My problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my case I don't have inheritable permissions option in AD user, I just have "Disable inheritance" and there is no checkbox! Maybe I need to check something first?!

    ReplyDelete