Sunday, January 22, 2012

Add Driver Packages to Boot Image Wizard Not Responding

Hi had an issue today with a WDS Server on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Whenever I went to add a driver package to a boot image the "Add Driver Packages to Boot Image Wizard" would freeze when trying to mount the image and come up with not responding.

When running the wizard again the following error would be received:

Error Occurred while trying to execute this command.
Error Code: 0xc1420127


In which I needed to browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WIMMount\Mounted Images" and delete any keys below this to run the wizard again.

To resolve the problem I ran the following command to Uninitialize the server.

wdsutil /Uninitialize-Server



Opening the WDS Console allowed me to run the configuration wizard again. After running the configuration wizard and re-configuring the server I then ran the "Add Driver Packages to Boot Image Wizard" which completed successfully.

7 comments:

  1. Nice work-around! Did you every experience the error again? I seem to randomly get this error every 2nd or 3rd time I try to add driver packages to a boot image. Following your steps lets me add the new drivers but it's getting old so I was wondering if you know of a permanent fix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! worked for me also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did not work for me. Still freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did not work for me! HELP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding more RAM to my WDS server stopped the reoccuring freezing problem that I was having.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "After running the configuration wizard and re-configuring the server.." please explain how you did this. The rest of the steps you gave were explained clearly however this step lies on a HUGE assumption of the reinitialization going smoothly. For someone that has never done the initialization process, how would you re-initialize the server after running the uninitialize command?

    ReplyDelete